CHESTER HAS MOVED!: Where is the 24th MEU?

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Where is the 24th MEU?

I've promised a reader to decipher this tonight. First thought, with no evidence whatsoever, just a gut feel: 24th MEU's infantry, 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines, is preparing to participate in the Ramadi attack. Therefore they are RIPing (relief in place) with the Black Watch, which is currently under the command of the 24th MEU. I think the Euphrates is a unit boundary and the 24th MEU seems to be south of it, as that is where the Black Watch was last reported patrolling. Ramadi is also south of the Euphrates. Thoughts?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question that has been bothering me all day.I'm pretty sure that the millitary brass knew the terrorist would attack in the streets of Mozul and a few other places.Why didn't they have units and air power set up to ambush the terrorist when they came out?I would have paid to see the look on the faces of these thugs when they realized what just hit them.Do you have any idea if this was thought of or is it not possible for some reason.

November 11, 2004 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger M said...

I would like to believe our Commanders on the ground have thought about a follow on plan. Meaning, where do they go right from Fallujah? It would make sense to me that they have a plan in place to hit another city real hard right after Fallujah. Maybe even before Fallujah is declared secure.

I understand these insurgents have limited comm capabilities, so pending available US manpower, why not launch a 2nd strike right away?

Now, I have heard comparisons to Blackhawk Down, and Mogadishu. I debated this today with one of my non-military co-workers. My argument was that other than this being a MOUT operation, there are few comparisons. It is my understanding that Mog was a botch from minute 1.

They did not have good inital planning, to include no supporting arms, no artillary, no close air. And though interviews I have seen on the various TV station (Discovery, TLC, History, etc), most of the Rangers admit they were complacent and cocky.

The Marines and soldiers in this Fallujah op have had arty and air shaping things up, as well as superior supporting arms while in contact.

November 11, 2004 at 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise