CHESTER HAS MOVED!: What about Mosul?

Saturday, November 13, 2004

What about Mosul?

This Fox story gives an overview of the battle, but let's talk Mosul for a moment. Many tidbits in this article. "The U.S. Army diverted an infantry battalion from the fighting in Fallujah and sent them back to Mosul after an uprising there by insurgents, U.S. military officials said Saturday. "The 1st Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment, a unit of the 25th Infantry Division, was ordered back to Mosul late Thursday after militants attacked bridges, police stations and government buildings in the city, officials said." [Ah ha! So in addition to the Black Watch, 3rd LAR, 2nd Recon Bn, and possibly 1/2, at least one Stryker battalion was participating in the cordoning of the city. This makes sense -- seems that Strykers could be employed in a very similar manner to Light Armored Vehicles, which comprise 3rd LAR.] "The battalion, which is now part of the Stryker Brigade of Task Force Olympia, was already back in the Mosul area." [Not surprising -- speed is the forte of these units -- much more so than their armor. Are any other Stryker Bns in the cordon?] [Assessment of events in Mosul: The attacks there by insurgents this week were part of a pre-planned strike to coincide with the Fallujah operation, not a result of insurgents moving from Fallujah to Mosul. While some reports note that many key buildings are in the hands of insurgents, it seems that they have no hope of more than a short-term presence. Mosul is a largely Kurdish city, and the Kurds will have little use for the insurgents.] [ An alert reader wants me to draw your attention the the blog, A star from Mosul, authored by a teenage girl living there.]

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

N.B. The 1/5 led the first invasion of Fallujah in April. These guys are highly experienced in Iraqi urban warfare tactics, as is the Stryker Brigade.

November 13, 2004 at 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the most useful article I have ever read about the enemy in Fallujah:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/world/10166874.htm

November 13, 2004 at 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Grant's Petersburg campaign. Jubal Early, hoping to distract Grant, got loose in the Shenandoah Valley and threatend Wash. D.C. where everyone seemed to panic. Grant, of course, did not panic but did send some troops to Wash to make sure the situation didn't get worse. He made sure NOT to go to Washington himself- feeling that it would put too much emphasis on the situtaton and contribute to the panic. Mosul seems to be a similar situation. One could argue that the effort by the enemy may confirm the Fallujah attack.

November 13, 2004 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was an interesting piece on the news last night about a Marine LAV that had been attacked and forced to withdraw on fire. The right rear tires were on fire and blazing badly. This is exactly the kind of problem that made "soldiers for truth", and others very critical of the Army's new Stryker LAV. Set the tires on fire and you have crippled the vehicle without penetrating the armor. Be interseting to know if this has happened before yesterday.

November 13, 2004 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Mosul is about 90% Sunni Arab, but the remaining 10% is Christians, Turkomen, and Kurds. The large Kurdish city in the North you are probably thinking of is Kirkuk.

Unfortunately, surveys have shown that the Mosulis are among the most passionately angry at the Coalition, though until now the city has been relatively peaceful.

Jeff

November 13, 2004 at 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on Blogwise